THE UPPER PENINSULA POET LAUREATE POSITION
The Application Process is Closed. Laureate candidates have been notified that their application has been received.
Deadline – January 15th, 2023
The Upper Peninsula Poet Laureate will promote poetry and the spoken word. The laureate will encourage appreciation of the art form and creative expression by a wide-range of residents of the region through public readings, workshops, virtual events, and digital platforms. The laureate will celebrate the U.P. and its cultural heritage through poems in online or print publications and champion past and present U.P. poets. The Upper Peninsula Poet Laureate serves a two-year term, which may be renewed one time.
- Promote poetry and the Poet Laureate position via social media and traditional media outlets.
- Develop a special project, such as an event, publication, or program, which highlights poetry and the U.P.
- Give public readings and workshops to communities across the U.P., in-person or virtually.
- Attend cultural events in coordination with the regional arts and/or humanities councils.
- Provide updates twice a year to the Upper Peninsula Poet Laureate Foundation
- The laureate should be able to provide credentials and examples to demonstrate the literary talents for the position and its projects.
- The candidates should demonstrate a record of excellence through a list of publications, writing samples, and recordings of readings or community performances.
- The poet laureate should be able to demonstrate strong public speaking skills as well as the ability to engage a variety of audiences.
- The poet laureate should reside in the Upper Peninsula and be familiar with the region.
Please see the job description and application for application details. If you have problems completing this form use the Contact form below to receive a form.